Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rosie Thomas :: With Love


With Love
Rosie Thomas
With Love


Sing-a-Long Records; 2012



There is nothing cool about this album. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

I’ve tried hard to find something. Anything. I’ve dumped it out all over my bed. I rifled through the stuff. Checked all the compartments. And there is nothing here that could ever be classified as cool. It’s a sweet, syrupy ball of saccharine. In a mumblecore world where artists are more keen on making albums filled with ambiguity, obtuseness, irony, and dread, Rosie Thomas sticks out like the Statue of Liberty on a planet of apes. She’s less early Cat Power and more Bette Midler. That, my friends, is not cool. Releasing an album of ten love songs, on Valentine’s Day, and naming it With Love is not cool. But by shaking the shackles of obscurity and pretension, Rosie Thomas’ proud pinning of her heart on her sleeve is about the most punk thing an artist could do these days. She’s like Buddy the Elf shouting “I’m in love and I don’t care who knows.” That kind of transparency is refreshing.

But let’s be honest here. Rosie Thomas has never really been cool. Not in any classic sense anyway. She’s always been the type who sings "From a Distance" at school talent shows without a drip of irony. She’s always written straightforward love songs. She’s always been able to find the silver lining in the darkest of clouds. Her songs have always bent towards power ballad territory. Go back and read old reviews of her albums. The cool kids that write about music haven't been too keen on this side of her. So when I say With Love isn't cool, this shouldn't be a surprise. It's sort of how she's always been.

But on With Love, Rosie Thomas is herself, only more so. Her decade worth of music has finally culminated to this point where she can stand up and says “this is who I am. I do not need to pretend I am not romantic. I do not need to pretend I want to be inspirational. I do not need to pretend I love Bette Midler, Vanessa Williams, and the early Jackson 5.” Because even with those older records, there was still a lingering sense of a person who wanted to be taken seriously by the taste makers.

Thus, With Love can only be understood and appreciated as the work of an artist who is entirely comfortable in her own skin. How else can you explain as song like “Back to Being Friends”? If a chorus of “if we went back to being friends/what what would it do/what would it mend/when we were meant to be so much more/if we went back to being friends/I'm not convinced this heart would mend/cause being friends wouldn't be good enough” doesn’t convince you of just how out of step Thomas is with current lyrical practices, the music for the same song just might. In a period known by restraint, Thomas belts the chorus. More so, by the end of the song the music drops off and we’re serenaded by handclaps and a choral. It’s flameworthy for sure. A similar effect happens with “Over the Moon” where we’re finally privy to the results of what Rosie Thomas covering an early Mariah Carey jam might sound like. Her lyrical romanticism has finally found its musical mate. 

If it sounds like I’m being snarky, I’m not. I’m simply trying to highlight how confident and unique Thomas sounds in today’s jaded climate. Personally I want more albums that make me feel alive. Personally I want more albums that celebrate friends and loved ones. Personally I’m thankful that this might be the most punk album you’ll find in the indie mainstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment