Monday, February 20, 2012

In Sickness and Health


(c) Salvatore Vuono

My daughter has had a nagging cough for a couple weeks. Last night she vomited all over the sheets.

My son is recovering from pink eye and an ear infection.

More than one person I know could use a new kidney.

Then there are all those with the dreaded “C” word.

Depression is real. More people have it than you’d guess.

Another friend just got off crutches.

Which of these persons is healthy? If I paraded them before you, could you tell? Considering we place a premium on health, you’d think we’d be able to quickly identify who the healthy ones are. Of course, it also depends on what you mean by “health”.

In God in Creation, Jürgen Moltmann suggested two modern options.

1.      Health is the capacity for work and enjoyment. This is Freud’s definition. The problem is, it reduces health to a matter of production and consumption. Health is limited to what you can give and what you can take.
2.      “Health is the state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, not merely the absence of sickness and handicaps.” This is the World Health Organization’s definition. It fares better in that it captures the social aspect of health. But, measured against this ideal no society is ever healthy. Nor can it. It is entirely utopic.

This creates a caste system of health. One the one side you have the healthy. On the other is the unhealthy. They are those who need helped. They are those who need fixed. This leads to two interrelated problems:

1.      The “sick” are defined against the “healthy”. It is the healthy that makes the sick, sick. I blogged aboutthis phenomenon before in terms of disabilities. According to John Swinton, it is our attitudes about what constitutes disability that makes the disabled, disabled. If everyone could communicate using sign language, there would be no “disability” of deafness. It would simply be another form of communication.
2.      The “sick” are not fully human. If health defined by an absence of sickness is the ideal, than any impairment to the physical and mental well-being of a person is impairment to the state of being human. The sick fall into a category of lesser humans. The sick can never be fully human. Worse, if health is utopic are any of us ever human?

So perhaps our concept of health needs revised. But is there a way forward? Is there another way? Moltmann believes there is.

A)    “Health can be viewed as an objectively ascertainable state of the human being’s physical, mental and social well-being.” This addresses the functioning of a person’s physical and mental state. It is the awareness that the human body tends to function in a certain manner and sometimes it gets off. It’s an awareness that coughs happen. Cancer is an unfortunate reality. Legs break. Depression occurs.

But health is more than the objective state of a person’s physical and mental workings. It is a state of mind concerning these impairments.

B)    “Health can also be viewed as a subjectively ascertainable attitude on the part of the person concerned to his fluctuating condition.” Health is more than an absence of malfunctioning. It is a state of mind. It is the resolve to live with them. It is vitality for life.

Health then includes healthy attitudes (B) to a person’s health (A).

Health is the strength to be human. It is a recognizing and embracing of our limitations. Being human is the capacity to live in sickness and health. It is the capacity to stand up in living and dying. Sickness is not something to be feared. The sick are not lepers to be shoved to the margins of society. The elderly are not to be placed out of sight. Not if health and wholeness is a matter of vitality for life.

For sure, the body breaks down. The mind breaks down. Social systems break down. These break downs should try to be fixed, but they do not determine health. Health is determined by vitality for life. It’s openness to each other and the world around us. It’s an acceptance of the invitation to love well and receive love.

We might lose hope. We might lose faith. We might fail in love. But this is not a failure in health. On the contrary. It points to health. It points to awareness that something is wrong, something isn’t right. It points to holy dissatisfaction with the world that cries with groaning waiting its redemption. Health is the very thirst for redeemed life. Health is living into this awareness.

For Moltmann, this is human life:

Human life is accepted, affirmed, and loved life.

The strength to be a human person lies in the acceptance, the affirmation and the love of frail and mortal life. …

The human being in his embodiment is not created to end in death; he is made for transformation through and beyond death. Hope for the resurrected body and a life everlasting in redemption corresponds to the bodily creation of the human being by God, and perfects that. The hope of resurrection is belief in creation that gazes forward to what is ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great post Kyle. I think the realization that "things are not right", things are far from it, has been an important way for me to balance the problem of sickness. Sickness is a reality, for each of us. It's magnitude and manifestation might vary, but we're all sick, all dying. And with this realization, we also have the opportunity to hope for something better. If we know it is not all right, we also acknowledge the potential for something else.

    Good words. You need to recommend me a "beginner's" Moltmann book.
    Seth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Seth. I've been trying to wrap my head around the gap between the way things are and the way things ought to be and the unfortunate marginalizing the sick in the name of health. I'd like to find a new way.

    I'm still looking for beginning Moltmann. I know there are some books out there, but I haven't read them yet. I've only read his "mature" work. None of them are easy and demand re-reads. But "Crucified God" is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with some of what you're saying, but have to disagree with other parts. However, my interpretation of what you're saying may be wrong, as I am not nearly as well read or studied in the literature that you enjoy. Here are some thoughts...

    "But health is more than the objective state of a person’s physical and mental workings. It is a state of mind concerning these impairments." Have you ever been so sick that you thought you were dying and wished that you could die? I have. And 90% of people I knew didn't even realize I was sick because it was invisible, but a war has been going on inside of my body for 5 years, and there have been times that the bacteria is winning. This is far more than a "state of mind." I could "decide" to accept this illness and move forward. Impossible. This illness defines me, not because I let it, but because it has changed who I am on every level. That is just the nature of many illnesses. I am not talking about a cold, the flu, a cough. I am talking about life altering and life-taking illness. I watched my dad lose his mind to cancer, and die with no dignity left. I changed his diapers and listened to him yell insults and profanity at me. He was not able to have a certain "mind set."

    Also, if we settle on accepting and rejoicing in our ailments, we are missing what God has available for us. I am reading through all of the gospels right now, in order to remind myself that JESUS HEALS. He did not want people to accept their sickness. He wanted them to press through a crowd to touch his cloak. And he healed everyone who came to him, even those who had resigned themselves to a life of illness or disability. God does not want us to accept life altering illness. If we do, or as you said, "resolve to live with them" we may miss what he has for us.

    Again, I appreciate your thoughts. The events of the last 5 years of my life have made me passionate and sensitive about this topic. I would love to talk to you about it more if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Suzanne. I really, really appreciate it. I also greatly appreciate your push back. I'm in the process of learning myself, so I want to get as many perspectives as possible.

      I think you're totally right about the hope for healing now. I was mostly riffing off Moltmann here. The one thing I don't like about him is that he goes one of two ways: 1) Jesus suffers with us (good!) and 2) we have a future hope (also good!). What this misses is the reality that Jesus does heal. We should hold out hope that we can be healed now. No one should have to go through what you did. Nor should one be expected to resign to the fact.

      Second, I hadn't thought about the aspect of reaching a point where you have no choice in the matter. I was mostly thinking of certain illnesses or disabilities that have been present since a person was born.

      My main thinking at this point was to encourage, mostly myself I suppose, to encourage loving a person because they're a person. Because they are a human. Because they matter.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Kyle, for this blog post. I should be qualified to comment given my recent cancer diagnosis, but in truth that credential doesn't buy me much. I still struggle with the Big Questions. Why was I blessed with 49 years of great health, while so many others are not? And why do I and my family now get to carry a heavy diagnosis, and all that accompanies that?

    I think that There Are No Answers to these questions - at least, none that are fathomable to us. And weirdly, there's comfort in that.

    But it is still profitable to explore it, and I appreciate your blog post for doing that.

    The word "health": it must share its roots with the word "heal." The original concept of the word "health" was probably "healedness" - in the same way that we use width instead of 'wideness', youth over 'youngness'. And mirth over 'merryness'.

    (Disclaimer: I may be wrong about the last one, but it's okay because no one uses 'mirth' anymore. No Google verification of this etymological guessing has been conducted by me.)

    It seems though that our very concept of health is not based on some default state of things being as they should be. Instead it's based on an appreciation of being healed - of perhaps of being spared - from sickness or disability.

    It's a familiar and frustrating dichotomy. If not for death, we'd have no word for life. Without darkness, no concept of light. Our sense of joy is a little sharper if we have known despair. And likewise, without sickness or disability - it seems we would not even have a word for health.

    I believe that God does not target specific people to suffer. And that we should fight, and seek to eliminate, that suffering.

    In the midst of that, I suspect that the presence of health and sickness, and those other dichotomies, are a necessary part of God's operating system for our earthly world. GOS 1.0, if you like.

    Thanks, Kyle, for your blog and the driveway moments it creates for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond Harvey. I really appreciate it. I'm also very excited about your test results yesterday. You and your family are in my prayers every day. (It's usually in front of the computer.)

      Also thanks for not laughing at my thoughts (Suzanne too). I feel a bit like Job: "Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know."

      I really like what you have to say about thinking of health in terms of being healed. And also in relation to the idea of not understanding light without darkness, joy and despair, etc. (Moltmann, in the book I mentioned and elsewhere writes about it at length. For him love is a suffering love in that when we love we open ourselves to suffering. This is seen most closely in God himself.)

      And I totally agree with you about God not targeting people. Yikes. I don't know what I'd do with that. (Of course I don't know what to do with alot of things, so that wouldn't be news.)

      To Mirth! And thanks for the way I see so much life in you and your family!

      Delete